Volunteers are Key to a Thriving Market
2013 MIFM Volunteer Opportunities
The Mercer Island Farmers Market is a community market and we really depend on our community volunteers to maintain operations and run special events.
As a volunteer you develop a special connection to the market and find out there’s more to a farmers market than asking vendors to show up on Sunday. We hope you will be inspired to contribute to your market.
Check out the Volunteer Overview or review the Volunteer Opportunities below.
Sign up anytime individually or with your friends by contacting our volunteer coordinator, Volunteer Coordinator
1 – Market Operations – Set up and Tear Down
Teams of people to set up 10 to 12 canopies, tables and chairs, placement of market signage and recycling receptacles and where needed assist our farmers and vendors.
Time: 8:00 AM to 10:00 AM for Set Up and 2:45 PM to 4:30 PM for Tear Down
2 – Street Flaggers – Must by 18 yrs or older
Streets are closed during set up, operation and tear down.
One person needed to push street barrier open and closed as vendors set up, 8 AM to 9:30 AM and 3:00 PM to 4:30 PM.
One person checks in vendors in as they arrive and directs them to their numbered place in the market, 7:30 AM to 10:00 AM
Some training required for safety
3. Weekly Counter – Floater
To better understand our market, we count the number of Patrons that enter our market each hour and periodic have a few simple questions about the market.
Floater is someone that is flexible to assist the market manager with any and all tasks (give vendors breaks, conduct Dept of Health checks, resolve issues customer issues, give out information, first aid assistance, market safety checks, volunteer assistance, and more). We never know what may come up.
Time: One position from about 9:45 AM to 12:15 PM and one position from 12:30 PM to 3:00 PM.
4. MIFM Information Booth
This is a central area where both Volunteers and Patrons will come and ask questions about the market, the vendors, volunteer activities etc. Volunteers will sign in and out, the first aid kit and lost and found items are stored and special promotions operate from here. This is the best place to be as all your friends and neighbors will pass by!
Time: Two positions for 9:45 AM to 12:30 AM and two positions for 12:30 PM to 3:00 PM.
5. Special Events – Cooking Demos, Produce Tasting Events, Kids, Music, Entertainment
These are periodic during each month. If you are flexible and available from 10:30 AM to 1:30 PM, we can use extra hands to help with:
- Cooking demos: Assist the demo coordinator with set up of event area (tables, chairs, serving supplies, signage), help pass out samples, clean up event area.
- Produce Tastings: Help with set-up area, gathering produce, cutting and preparing for shopper sampling. Love to greet people and basic knowledge of food safety. Time: ~ 10: 30 AM to 12:30 PM.
- Need Food Workers Card to help with tasting. The guide and tests are available online Food Worker Card for a fee of $10.00. It takes approximately 1-1/2 to 2 hours to read the information and take the test.
- Special Events: Assist with general set up of area, set up signage, promote event – hand out information
6. Vendor Check-Out
Two positions assist the Treasurer with collecting vendor fees at the end of the market day.
7. General Marketing and Advertising Needs
Corner A frame directional signage: Store A frame signs and place out in designated street corners on Thursday PM, pick up and store by Sunday PM. Need at least 2 or 3 people, consistently for the 18 weeks.
- Market Outreach: Volunteers to post periodic flyers at North End and South End business and bulletin boards – on call – anytime volunteers needed
- Price comparisons: Record on a weekly basis fruit and produce pricing in local grocery stores. We compare and use this data to educate our community the value of buying local, fresh, and about food safety.
- Tweeters and bloggers to take photos and write about our farmers, events, food and community.
8. Board of Directors and Committees
The Mercer Island Farmers Market is a 501(c)3 organization governed by a Board of Directors. If you are interested in participating in decision making for MIFM, contact the MIFM Board President .
Non-board members can also participate in committees such as Development & Fundraising, Marketing, Market Day and Special Events and Vendor Relations.
Benefits for Volunteers
You directly support our Washington State farmers and producers, assisting with retention and stewardship of agriculture lands. Farmers markets keep local agriculture thriving.
Team building for groups, club, or organizations
Easy way and ability to give back to your community and a satisfying feeling of time spent on a good cause
Discounts from our some of our vendors/farmers when they recognize you as a volunteer.
Sign up anytime individually or with your friends.