The 2012 line-up includes:
- June 24 - Chef Kurt Dammeier, Bennett’s Pure Food Bistro
- July 1 - Dr. Susan Kleiner, High Performance Nutrition
- July 28 - Chef Lesa Sullivan, Personal Chef & Contributor to FareStart
- August 12 - Chef Nathan Zielske, Culinary Services Director, Aljoya
- September 23 – Chef Tracy Green and the Newport High School Culinary Arts Program Students
Check out the Recipes pages to find recipes from our Chef Demonstrations.
Chefs not only show how to prepare delicious and nutritious meals from ingredients available from the farmers at the market, but also show how to prepare unfamiliar or challenging fruits or vegetables that community members might have been reluctant to purchase. Often the chefs will shop at the MIFM with customers before or after the demonstration creating another opportunity for our community to learn.
The MIFM was thrilled when another Mercer Island organization recognized the value of chef tours of the farmers market by organizing their own. On July 17, 2011, the Mercer Island Sister City Association (MISCA), arranged for chef, food-writer, and cookbook-author, Sharon Kramis, led members of their group through the farmers market, similar to how citizens of Mercer Island’s sister city, Thonon-les-bains, France, shop for their food. After buying fresh ingredients from the MIFM, Chef Kramis and the members of the MISCA joined Julie Kramis Hearne, Sharon’s daughter, at Island House to prepare a delicious meal.